Warburton Community Hydro
Complete design, project manage and construct
Originally a vision by a local community group to refurbish and grid connect an old 1930’s turbine, this project evolved over many years to become a full ground-up design and construct project using modern equipment and world leading innovations. Driven by a group of dedicated local volunteers and backed by the community sponsorship arm of the Warburton and Yarra Junction Community Bank Branches®, the project breaks new ground in the emerging community-driven renewable energy sector.
River Power Tasmania was engaged to:
- Design the scheme in its entirety, including intake works, pipeline, underground powerhouse, turbine sound attenuation, grid connection, turbine and electrical specification and site access
- Provide professional services to assist with planning permit, water licence, grid connection, power purchase, LGC accreditation, land lease agreements etcetera
- Act as the Owners Representative, managing the procurement and successful delivery of all components including the HDPE pipeline, hydroelectric turbine and electrical control equipment
- Construct and install of all balance of plant components
The plant was commissioned in September 2019.
The Warburton Community Hydro project was made possible by financial and in-kind support from the Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, Yarra Ranges Council and energy retailer Powershop.
Follow the below links for footage during construction:
Please contact us at any time for a chat about your small-scale hydro needs.
- Constructed 2018
- Dam Storage – NIL
- Pipe length: 859m
- Pipeline outside diameter: 450mm
- Max design flow: 206l/s
- Head: 68.3m
- Max output: 100kw
- Annual generation: 820MWh