River Power Tasmania - Proudly Tasmanian Owned
Specialising in small-scale run-of-river systems
River Power Tasmania is a Tasmanian based small hydro developer and service provider. We specialise in small scale, run-of-river systems that supply energy to the grid. All our schemes incorporate modern design, environmentally friendly operation and industry-leading cost efficiency. We develop our own schemes and develop schemes for others.
- Site suitability and feasibility assessments
- Hydrological yield modelling and logging
- Investment return analysis
- Project management
Please contact us at any time for a chat about your small-scale hydro needs.
Features of a Run-of-River system
"Run-of-River" is a term that describes a hydroelectric scheme that has nil or minimal dam storage. Output varies with river flow, with the powerstation operating in synchrony with natural river flows.
- Does not need a dam, so construction costs are vastly reduced
- Does not have the environmental and social complications of a dam- land is not displaced, fish migration continues unabated, visual amenity is maintained
- Operation and construction is relatively passive- the river continues to flow as before but with the power scheme diverting a proportion of flow through the turbine and returning back to the river
- There is no change in water quality as it passes through the turbine, water returns back to the river unpolluted
- All dams have a lifespan, without the dam a run-of-river scheme can operate indefinitely
- Without a dam floods can still occur downstream, maintaining sediment movement and water quality
- Head pressure is achieved by running a pipeline along the natural lay of the land, rather than building a dam behind the power station